Saturday, August 24, 2013

Boy or Girl: Gender Predictors

In 3 weeks I find out the gender of Baby #2 (hopefully then I will have something better than #2 to call him/her), but I thought it would be fun do gather some gender predictors in the meantime and see which ones end up being accurate. I don't know if even that will mean anything. THey really all have a 50/50 shot, right? Pretty good odds!

This is actually a reasonable sample size of the crazy number of gender predicting old wives tales are out there. 

Your body:

Shape of Belly: Carrying a low, smaller belly that sticks straight out is a boy. A high, big round belly is a girl. This is tough because I don't really see either of these traits in my belly, this early. My belly is smaller than it was with my little girl and definitely not as round, so it may just be my eating habits, but I am going to go with BOY on this one.

Skin: Is your skin dry (boy) or oily (girl)? I am going to give another point to BOY on this one. I have been needing a lot more lotion lately. 

Hair: Is your hair dull and brittle (girl) or full and healthy (boy)? My hair didn't get full and bouncy like I imagined when I was told that pregnant women have great hair but when I was pregnant with my daughter, my hair was a disaster. This time it is pretty much the same. So I am going with another point BOY. 

Face shape: When your face gets fuller and rounder when pregnant, it means you're going to have a girl. If your face is long and narrow, it's a boy. I am having a hard time believing that my face would slim down during any pregnancy, but it definitely isn't as round as last time, so again, I am going BOY on this one. 

Shape of Legs: If your legs have gotten really big, you are having a boy. If they stay in shape and lean, you are having a girl. Hmmm... well, my legs haven't gotten any leaner but they haven't gotten any bigger either. These are kinda hard. I am going to give my first point to GIRL. 

Leg Hair: If the hair on your legs has been growing faster than normal, you might be having a boy. I feel like I need to shave all the time so BOY gets another one. 

Nose: This one is really weird but if your nose is growing and getting wider you are likely to be having a boy. I think this one is really out there but I am going GIRL. 

Boobies: If your left breast is larger than the right breast, it's having a girl. If the right breast is larger, it's a boy. I have an obvious GIRL point here.

Eye Test: 
The eye test is when you pull down the skin under your left eye if you see a V or branches in the white part, you're having a girl. I don't know if I am understanding this one completely but my eye is just white, so BOY, it is. 

Your habits/symptoms:

Cravings: Are you craving sweets (girl) or salty foods (boy)? I didn't feel like I had any cravings last time or this time, really. I didn't need anything specific. A little bit of both, I guess, this is a DRAW.

Morning sickness: Are you having morning sickness (girl) or feeling great (boy)? I had some with this pregnancy but with my daughter I was sick as a dog, so BOY gets another one.

Gracefulness: If you are graceful throughout her pregnancy, you are having a girl. If you becomes clumsy, you are having a boy.  I am having trouble with this one because I spilled everything when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was anything but graceful and I haven't started that yet, so if I went with the opposite it would be boy but it I followed the old wives tale it would be girl. I am going to call a DRAW on this one. 

Sleep Position: If you prefer to lay on your left side, you are having a boy. If you prefer your right side, it is a girl. I move around a lot at night but my husband claims that whenever he gets up in the morning I am on my left side, it could be because he is pulling for a boy, but I don't know, so I guess it is my left side and BOY.


Headaches: If you are having headaches, you might be carrying a boy. This is a huge point for BOY for me this tim around. My head is constantly throbbing.

Random Tests:

Previous kids: 
 If you have another child and that child's first word was momma, you will have a girl. If your first child's first word was dadda, you'll have a boy. Emme's first word was Dada but how does this one work if you have more than one child. Oh well, BOY.



Show me your hands: 
When the pregnant woman is asked to show her hands, it's a boy if she keeps her palms down and a girl if she shows her palms up. I read this one myself, but before I read the whole thing I held my hand out, palm down so I could follow along, so my best guess would be BOY.


String Test: If you dangle a needle on a string over your wrist (or some say belly) does it swing in circles or back and forth? Circles means boy and back and forth means girl. When I did this the needle swung back and forth rather quickly and forcefully, actually so team GIRL definitely gets the point.

Name that Baby: It is said that when you can only think of specific names for a boy or a girl, you will have a baby of that sex. I don't know about this one because last time we only had boys names lined up and we had a girl. This time we have only girls names. I am faced with the same problem as whether I am graceful or not, so I am calling another DRAW.

Bread: If you eat the ends of bread, it's a boy. If you eat the middle of the load, it's a girl. This has to be the most ridiculous one for me. I don't even eat the crust so you won't catch me eating the "butt" of the bread, ever. So regardless of my baby's sex, I think this one would turn out GIRL. (This one is probably the most random)

Time of Conception: The person that is most aggressive in bed at the time of conception is the opposite of what the baby will be. Ummm..GIRL.

Chinese Gender Chart The Chinese Gender Chart allegedly has an accuracy rate of over 90%. It is based on how old the mother is at conception and the month that (s)he conceived. This chart told me I was having a girl last time and it was right. This time it says BOY.

Mayan Gender predictor: If the year of conception and the mothers age are both even or odd, it is a girl. If one is even and the other odd, it is a boy. For me they are both odd, (but this test was wrong with my daughter). One point GIRL.

Toddlers: If a toddler boy expresses interest in a pregnant woman, she is having a girl. If he doesn't show interest, she's having a boy. I don't have any toddler boys so I can't do this one.

Fetal Heart Rate:  If the baby's heart rate is above 140 bpm, it is said that the baby will be a girl. If it is under 140 bpm, then it will be a boy. The heart rate at our last appointment was over 140 but just barely. I think it was 148 or 143. Emme's was always in the 160s, so I think I am going to guess BOY.

Drano Test: This test involves peeing into a cup of Drano (as if you haven't had to pee on enough things already). If the mixture turns green, it is a girl. If it turns blue, it is a boy. 
***I recommend skipping this one. Drano fumes can't be great for you and it doesn't work anyway. My Drano started clean and finished pee yellow. 

Baking Soda Test: Again you need to pee into a cup...this time with baking soda. If the mixture fizzles, it's a boy. If it doesn't, it is a girl. My pee fizzled like crazy. Point for BOY.

Key Test:  This test involves someone putting a key in front of you.If you pick up a key at the top (the roundest part), you are going to have a boy. If you pick up the key at the bottom (smallest part), you are going to have a girl. If you happen to grab the key in the middle, its twins! I went for the narrow part. GIRL.

Knife/Scissor Test: Have someone hide a knife and a scissor under 2 different couch cushions when you are out of the room. After they are hidden choose a seat. If you sat on/near the knife it is a boy. If you sat on or near/scissors, it is a girl. I sat no where near the knife and right next to the scissors so this test tells me baby is a GIRL.

That si a total of 9 points for girl and twelve for girl. Only time will tell!




No comments:

Post a Comment