Wednesday, September 11, 2013

When Should Children Learn About September 11


This morning when I was driving my 8 year old step-daughter to school, I asked her, "Are you doing anything for September 11th in school today?" and she looked confused when she answered "No, I don't think so." So I asked her if she knew what September 11th was and she said, "Yeah. Isn't it Halloween?" She had no idea what I meant by September 11th. It must be a say for candy or presents, right?

I gave her a very brief summary of what has happened and she just said, "Wow!" She wasn't afraid or worried just a little shocked.

I was shocked that she was so completely unaware. I know she is only 8 and maybe the school thinks she is too you to learn hear about terrorism and I don't expect her to understand the economic or political affects of such a tragedy, but it isn't necessary to scare a child with potential dangers on American soil in order to pay tribute to a day that I think is far more relevant to their lives than anything currently found in a history book.

During that time, rescue workers and every day people, risked their lives to save people they didn't know before that day. Heroes were made from some of the greatest acts of humanitarianism that this country has ever seen. We ask them who their heroes are but they are completely unaware of the bravery and selflessness of the people who sacrificed themselves on September 11 to save the lives of others.


I don't expect them to hear high jacking details that will keep them from ever wanting to get on a plane again, but following the terrorist attacks came the biggest surge of American patriotism that I have ever experienced in my lifetime. There is an significant lesson to be learned about how no matter how big or invincible you may seem, you can always be knocked down and the importance of banning together to stand back up.

Maybe 8 is too young, but I think that they should at least know the importance of today and if told correctly, September 11 isn't just a story of plane crashes and terrorism but of heroism and patriotism.

Regardless, today is an important day that should be remembered by all Americans. God Bless the families of those who were brave in the face of danger and God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment